Is the General Counsel - Sr. Vice President (Legal) and Chief Compliance Officer, NEC Corporation India Pvt Ltd. He is a multifaceted Senior Corporate Legal Professional with rich experience of more than 24 years in strategic thinking, formulation of operational guidelines and a business enabler to complex legal issues. He has advised on various legal issues including Regulatory, Compliance, Risk Management, Taxation, Arbitration, Insurance, Financial laws, Employment laws, cross-border transactions, Government contracts, Power, Fraud Management, Criminal law, Corporate Fraud investigations, data privacy & client confidentiality.
Amar has held senior leadership positions as India Head of Legal, Corporate Governance and Regulatory Affairs for Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS/Natwest Group) where he was a member of the India Ex-Co and Risk Committee. Prior to RBS, he spent 7 years as National Director and General Counsel (India & Bangladesh) for EY. His previous experience includes Legal Head positions with DCM Shriram, Birla, TATA, AT & T, Reliance, Citi, BPTP.
Amar has consistently been ranked amongst the top 100 of India’s finest General Counsel as per Legal 500, Ministry of Commerce & Industry along with ICCA, Indian National Bar Association (INBA), and BUSINESS WORLD from the year 2018 to 2021.
Amar is also credited with many published articles in leading law journals, representing the organization at various Industry Forums and have regularly been speaking at various national and international legal seminars.
Professional Memberships & Positions
- Member, Advisory Board, UK-India Legal Partnership (UKILP) (2021)
- Founding Member of Indian Corporate Counsel Association (ICCA).
- Life Member of Indian Council of Arbitration, FICCI (The Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry)
- Member, Governing Council, SCL, India (Society of Construction Law)
- Member, International Board of Advisors, Jindal Global Law School (India) (2017)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Law – GD Goenka University, Gurgaon (India) (2018)
- President – Indian Lawyers Association (ILA), Gurgaon Chapter.
- Member of Editorial Board (Corporate) – Law magazine LawZ.
- Honorary Professor’ Amity University, Haryana in the year 2019
- Member of the Advisory Council of the School of Law-Sushant University (Erstwhile Ansal University) (2020).
- Academic Expert - Board of Studies (BOS) UPES School of Law, Dehradun (India) (2020)
- Bachelor of Arts (Hons)
- Bachelor of Law (LL. B)
- Master of Law (LL.M)
- Industrial Relations and Personnel Management.
Amar Sundram is a valuable Founder Member of the GCAI. His experience in the field lends itself hugely to this association and will be valuable for new entrants and old alike.